The Wonthaggi Seed Bank and Nursery Inc (WSBN)
Run by local Volunteers and is a not-for-profit incorporated association.
The Bass Coast, South Gippsland Shires have habitats that are coastal, wetland, hinterland and bushland. Indigenous plant species have adapted to local these environmental conditions. These plant species help to sustain valuable biodiversity and habitat for native birds and wildlife. The indigenous plant species have adapted to the local environment and there is no need to ‘import’ soil or to use fertilisers.
There is a very important difference between native and indigenous plant species. So what is the difference? Well native means that the plant is native to anywhere in Australia. Indigenous means that the plant species comes from a certain area such as the Bass Coast and South Gippsland Shires.
We are passionate about sustaining the indigenous plant species in our region and having a supply for vital revegetation. WSBN only propagates INDIGENOUS plant species. We encourage you to plant using these species wherever you can.
We mostly focus our efforts on propagating these species to your ORDER. We are not a commercial nursery that you generally visit to select your plants. Please use our online order form to place your order generally the YEAR before you are planting. We can help with planning what species are most suited to your place if you need and/or make use of these fabulous planting guides produced by the local councils from the region.
Shire Council Resources:
- Indigenous Plants Brochure for Bass Coast environments
- Indigenous Plants Brochure for South Gippsland – Page 1 and Page 2 – Note: This is not a high res version and currently unavailable to link via web to the South Gippsland Shire Council. A terrific resource and you maybe able to source directly from the Council.
- Common Weeds of Gippsland Brochure
We are licensed to collect species for propagation by:
- Parks Victoria (PV).
- Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP).
- Bass Coast Shire Council (BCSC).
Location (Pick-up plant orders here)
Our Nursery (shed and Yard) are located at the State Coal Mine Wonthaggi. If you place an order with us, the State Coal Mine is the usual pick-up-point.
Google map – Wonthaggi State Coal Mine – WSBN Nursery and Yard
This is a google view of the Wonthaggi State Coal Mine. As you can see we are located right at the back of the site. The second arrow takes you to the Coal Mine Cafe car park. You can park here and walk around to the nursery.
Keep up-to-date with our weekly activities by visiting our Facebook page. Please share your photos and stories of your indigenous plants finding their forever homes.
Our propagated indigenous plants are sourced by:
- Government organisations / Shire Councils.
- Landcare Groups.
- Friends groups (Bass Coast Friends of the Hooded Plover (FoWH), Cape Paterson Residents & Ratepayers Association (CPRRA), Friends of Harmers Haven Ratepayers Association (FHHRA), Friends of Wonthaggi Heathland & coastal Reserve(FOWHCR) etc.
- Individual landholders (farmers) and home owners.
- Plant nurseries / Landscapers.
- Margaret Barnard (Secretary) – Mobile 0413 585 686
- Peter McKenzie (Vice President) – Mobile 0411 471 712
When can you visit our Nursery
Our Nursery has an Open Day in Autumn and Spring. Check out our Facebook page for details during these seasons. Our Autumn dates are Wednesday 12th May and Saturday 15th May 2021.
- General enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Plant orders: email@example.com
- Accounts: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website feedback or suggestions: email@example.com
Mail and deliveries
Any letters or deliveries should be directed to:
Wonthaggi Seed Bank & Nursery Inc c/o State Coal Mine, Garden St, Wonthaggi VIC 3995, Australia