By Terri Gitsham Allen on behalf of the Friends of Wonthaggi Heathland and Coastal Reserve Inc. 2014
Always wanted to go for a walk around a local wetland?
The Walking Wonthaggi’s Wetlands booklet identifies 22 wetlands around Wonthaggi.
Take it with you to find out:
- Where are the 22 wetlands surrounding Wonthaggi ?
- Which have walking tracks and how long they are ?
- What facilities are there, i.e. parking, seats, info ?
- What is the wetland’s history ?
- What flora and fauna you can see ?
You can get the booklet from:
- Bass Coast Information Centres (Inverloch, Newhaven, Cowes)
- Bunurong Environment Centre, Inverloch
- Sea Salt Cafe, Cape Paterson
Sites to visit (detailed in booklet):
- Wonthaggi Heathland and Coastal Reserve
- Wonthaggi Rifle Range Wetlands
- Chisholms Road private wetlands
- Baxters Wetlands
- Power House Wetland
- Tent Town Wetland
- Powder Magazine Ephemeral Wetlands
- Rescue Station Wetland
- No. 5 Brace Wetlands
- Wonthaggi Wetlands
- No. 20 Shaft Wetland
- Powlett Floodplain
- Fullers Road Wetland
- Korumburra Road Private Wetlands
- Wonthaggi Bushland Reserve (Shane’s Bush)
- Carney’s Bush
- Eastern Area Mine Wetlands
- Tank Hill
- Southern Private Wetlands
- Settling Ponds
- West Area BIock
- Desalination Plant Wetlands